Giovanni is an expert in corporate and commercial law, advising Italian and foreign clients, and in particular public-owned companies (multi-utilities), focusing on the energy and waste & water sectors.
Giovanni is a member of the Italian Energy & Utilities team and heads the focus area group dedicated to Waste & Water. His legal expertise focuses on the wide range of corporate and commercial practices, covering both transactional and advisory work.
He assists Italian and foreign clients operating in the energy sector on domestic and cross-border M&A as well as joint ventures, extraordinary finance, and general commercial matters. He has a consolidated experience in dispute resolution, both at litigation and arbitration, specifically with regards to the rules related to disputes in the Environment and Waste & Water sectors.
He has a consolidated experience in dispute resolution, both at litigation and arbitration, as well as in the specific rules relating to disputes in the Environment and Waste & Water industries.
Giovanni has developed expertise in advising publicly owned companies (multi-utilities), listed and otherwise, mainly operating in the Waste & Water sectors and has an in-depth understanding of the management and administrative issues applying to these companies, and of the relevant issues relating to the liability of directors in publicly owned companies.
He has advised not only on a variety of M&A transactions involving companies owning waste disposal and recovery plants (landfill site and waste-to-energy plants), but also advises companies in the sector on issues including corporate governance.
Giovanni regularly speaks at leading industry conferences and is the author of several publications:
- Gli obblighi assunti dagli amministratori di società di capitali (Le Società n.3/2020, pag.328)
- Le Clausole di covendita (Le Società n.12/2019, pag.1368)
- Earn-out e dintorni (Le Società, n. 7/2019, IPSOA, pag. 822)
- Opzione PUT e violazione del divieto di patto leonino: nuovi spunti sul requisito di assolutezza (Commento a Tribunale di Milano, Sez. impr., 18 ottobre 2017) (Le Società, n. 3/2018, IPSOA, pag. 291)
- Legittimità delle Opzioni di vendita di partecipazioni societarie a prezzo fisso di natura parasociale (Le Società, n. 11/2016, IPSOA, pag. 1294)
- La risoluzione per eccessiva onerosità delle opzioni di vendita di partecipazioni societarie (Commento a Tribunale di Milano, Sez. impr., 30 gennaio 2014) (Le Società, n. 8-9/2014, IPSOA, pag. 927)
- Opzione di vendita a prezzo fisso e divieto di patto leonino: una convivenza possibile (Le Società, n. 2/2014, IPSOA, pag. 146)
- Co-author : The Energy Regulation and Markets Review (Ed. D. Schwartz, 2013 and 2014)
Giovanni Penzo is the best corporate law attorney one can meet (Legal 500)
Helping you succeed in tomorrow's world
I've been told I pay particular attention to client's needs, above all trying to combine in the most effective way the legal aspects with the business requirements. Thanks to this, and to my personal and direct involvement with clients in the negotiation phase, and understanding of their business, I've been able to build strong and loyal relationships over time with my clients.