International importer increases its stake in Fruchtimport vanWylick GmbH.

The partnership between Fyffes and fresh produce trader Fruchtimport vanWylick GmbH (vanWylick) goes back to 2011. Fyffes has now entered into an agreement to increase its investment to 74% of the shares in vanWylick, so it can provide an enhanced service to retailers and consumers in Germany’s banana market, as well as a greater role in servicing Germany’s fruit and vegetable trade. The remaining 26% will be held by the Allerding family. The transaction is subject to merger clearance by the European Commission.

Under the lead of Fabian Christoph (Partner, Corporate), Alexandra Nautsch (Senior Associate, Corporate), Thies Goldner (Counsel, Corporate), Mattis Aszmons (Senior Associate, Employment), Romeo Szejnmann (Senior Associate, Real Estate), Florian Merkle (Senior Associate, Tax) and Robert Briske (Senior Associate, IP) from Osborne Clarke were involved in advising Fyffes.

vanWylick has roughly 300 employees and handles over 300,000 tonnes of fresh produce annually, with bananas representing one third of sales. With its acquisition of a ripening depot in Stuttgart in December 2019, vanWylick has now a national offering. The company has invested in highly efficient and modern facilities and technology and in the past four years, vanWylick built new facilities in Cologne and Munich. Managing Directors of vanWylick, Dirk and Jens Allerding will remain leading the business.

Fyffes is a leading international importer and distributor of quality tropical produce and mushrooms headquartered in Dublin, Ireland. Founded over 130 years ago, Fyffes is the world’s oldest fruit brand. Fyffes has trading, farming and export operations in Europe, North, Central and South America, with long-established trading relationships with grower groups in Central and South America. The company’s primary activities include production, procurement, shipping, ripening, distribution and marketing of bananas, pineapples, melons and mushrooms.

Corporate communications and press contacts

If you are a journalist and would like comment or background from our legal experts, we can help. Our team will put you in touch with the best person. View a full list of our international press contacts by jurisdiction here.