John is a Partner in Osborne Clarke’s commercial team with particular expertise in the digital media and technology sector. He specialises in commercial contracts and in providing regulatory advice on intellectual property rights, consumer law and broadcasting regulation, which often involves coordinating multi-jurisdictional compliance exercises. He is also an expert in the EU Commission’s Digital Single Market initiative.
- has unrivaled experience in setting up digital platforms, products and services, advising on all legal issues relating to launch and beyond.
- has extensive experience in setting up and advising all types of digital platforms, from online marketplaces, to music streaming platforms to content aggregators.
- is an expert in rights and content licensing, technology agreements and partnering agreements.
- advises on broadcast matters, from commercial agreements such as channel management agreements to regulatory advice.
- advises on consumer facing services and physical products, from online b2c stores to apps to physical products including drones.
- advises on matters relating to internet of things, including products, networks and services.
- coordinates international compliance exercises across multiple jurisdictions.
- advises on production and distribution arrangements and format rights licensing.
Prior to joining Osborne Clarke, he spent 2 years as an in house lawyer at YouView as Head of Legal, which he joined as an unincorporated start-up and saw through to the launch of its hybrid DTT/IPTV platform. Prior to that he was a senior solicitor at Olswang LLP and worked on secondment at Channel 4, the BBC and Microsoft.
John is recommended by Legal 500 which called him ‘technically astute’ and said he
takes the time to understand the client and always delivers on his promises.